Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2011

A book EVERYONE should read


**spoiler alert...if you plan to read the book, and don't want to read some of the quotes I've taken away from the book, stop reading once I tell you some things that Randy said** 
Why does it take a terminal illness for most people to realize how they should live their lives? Randy Pausch doesn't quite fit that mold. He knew how to live his life before he found out he only had 3 to 6 months to live, but, it took finding this out for him to decide to share it with the world. This book was amazing. Not long, not long-winded, not preachy. Just one man sharing how he lived his life. And it's a kick in the pants for me to realize that I should be doing the same thing, even though I'm not suffering from a terminal illness. This book should be read by EVERYONE. I will re-read it time and time again, when I find myself slipping back into old habits. Some things that Randy said, that will stick with me forever:
"Luck is indeed where preparation meets opportunity."
"A lot of people want a shortcut. I find the best shortcut is the long way, which is basically two words: Work Hard"
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
"Complaining does not work as a strategy. We all have finite time and energy. Any time we spend whining is unlikely to help us achieve our goals. And it won't make us happier."
"I wanted to help students learn how to judge themselves."
"Phrase alternatives as questions, instead of ...."I think we should..." try, "What if we did...?"
"The brick walls are there for a reason. They're not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."
"Time is all you have. And you may find out one day that you have less than you think."
"EXPERIENCE is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."
"Proper apologies have three parts: 1) What I did was wrong. 2) I feel badly that I hurt you. 3) How do I make this better?"

All words worth living by every single day that we are on this Earth. It's just sad that it takes a dying man to impart this wisdom on so many. I will do my part to pay it forward in my own life, in the lives of my students, and in the lives of those I care about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment